Saturday, August 8, 2009

Stripparaoke is why I love this city

You read right.

Lately I have only come to love Portland because of something called Stripparaoke.

Only in Portland can something like this exist.

Yes, it is exactly what it sounds like. Strippers + Karaoke. Three, sometimes four, lovely ladies rotate and get down on the pole while you act out that rockstar fantasy you've always had, as you get to rock the mic.

Portland has a strong tradition of strip clubs being city landmarks. Mary's Club in Portland on Burnside is the oldest strip clubs in Portland and proudly boasts it. Second to Montreal, Portland has so many strip clubs because of one simple reason. Oregon has some of the loosest freedom of speech laws in America. Basically, it's my God-given right thanks to the Oregon legislature to express myself using just my tits.

But as opposed to frequenting one of the many strip clubs you can choose from in town, there's several specific reasons Stripparaoke at the Devil's Point is one of my favourite events. Mainly, it's hilarious. There's nothing more I hate at a strip club than going and feeling like I'm paying for a crack habit or helping someone relive a seedier part of their childhood. With their sexy Suicide Girlish, alt-rocker chick dancers, I have never left feeling like one of them was just mere minutes away from shouting "sorry Daddy!" at the top of their lungs while I throw my dollar bills down. But their is a sadomasochistic quality to Stripparaoke that makes it so enjoyable. It's also kinda hilarious to see what song you can make a stripper dance to (last week I watched a girl dance to Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah"). It's also hilarious to see the reactions from the crowd and the dancers while some of the worst singers warble on the stage. I've always been into the athletic nature of stripping as well, and the girls at the Devil's Point routinely do some of the best tricks on the pole this side of a monkey in a jungle. The monkey never wore 4 inch patent leather stiletto heels, however.

Stripparoake has almost become a community event of sorts, in the dirty southeast. There are steady cast of regular's and in a way when you go in there, it feels a bit like a rocked out, demented version of Cheers (sing it with me now..."where everybody knooowws your name, and they're always glad you came"). Theme nights add a special twist to the debauchary as well; pirate nights, pink and black party's, pimps and ho's nights, freaks and geeks night.

But most importantly, I come back again and again for the same reason everyone else does. The hot ass.

Stripparoake takes place at the Devil's Point on SE 52nd and Foster 9-close, on Sunday, of course...the Lord's day. Make it rain.

1 comment:

anticarnation said...

YES!!! Have you been after? I entertain delusions that my rendition of that Offspring song was the worst thing that happened to them.